Wednesday, October 8, 2008

form letter to administration

Hi everyone,

Please email this form letter to President Skorton, Vice President Murphy, and Dean of Students Hubbell. Their emails are: david.skorton@cornell.edu, shm1@cornell.edu, klh4@cornell.edu

Thank you!

Form letter:

Dear President Skorton, Vice President Murphy, and Dean Hubbell,

I was made aware of an Asian/Asian American Center initiative that was created in the semester of spring '08. At the time, I was very excited to hear of it because I truly believe that it is vital to have such a resource on campus, and I was very eager to see progress on the initiative during the upcoming months. Now that we are in the fall '08 semester, I have heard very disappointing news regarding the Center. From what I understand, renovations for the Center were supposed to have started by now, but it has been delayed due to bureaucratic processes within the University, such as accessibility issues within Willard Straight Hall, and uncertainty about the budget availability. While accessibility is a very important quality, it has been a problem that has been in Willard Straight for many decades. The Asian/Asian American Center project should be separate from this issue, not contingent on it.

As a concerned member of the Cornell community, I am deeply dismayed about these delays. I was under the impression that the Center would be ready to open by March '09, but with these bureaucratic problems, this deadline seems more and more impossible to be met. I worry that the Center will not come into existence by the time current students graduate.

I urge you, as the top administrators, to do everything in your power to expedite the creation of the Asian/Asian American Center. At the community forum in March '08, all of you promised your commitment to the creation of the Center. I and the rest of the Cornell community demand that you act on this commitment immediately.

Sincerely,

No comments: